Categories of hosting services
A hosting service includes stashing and/or sharing given content on a web hosting server run by a website hosting provider. There are different categories of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's take a glimpse at these. In this way, you can elect what you need, based on whether you'd like to have a web portal, email mailbox accounts, or to share files with buddies and partners.
- File hosting: a solution made available by certain web hosts, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage packages are often supported by exhibiting adverts next to the download links, while a timer forces you to await a given interval of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely incorrect interpretation of the actual connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would assign the workload between individual groups of servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, webspace hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a kind of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given companies offer a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting kind is appropriate if you desire to share a large amount of images with comrades or associates since the solution is usually free of charge. You will receive a random link for each pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for web pages.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to taking care of your mails. Some providers provide web hosting services for websites, but do not provide an email service. If you want to have a mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can open e-mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video creates a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and several hundred site visitors, you may have a hard time with your web hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will enable you to run as many video clips as you would like without worrying about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you wish to possess a website. To some extent, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can run databases and mailbox accounts, upload video clips, etc. At TeacherWebhosting, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting accounts that enable you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the form of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting account may be better or worse compared with the standard email/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for particular web content solely.